NOTE: This is part 2 and a series. Read part 1 here.
One of the things I liked about the original pattern is the Dresden plate. This block has always appealed to me and I love the idea of taking something traditional and giving it an updated twist.
An English professor once told me that we must learn and know the rules before we can know how to properly break them. I think that’s true with quilting as well, so the first thing I did is learn how to do a proper Dresden Plate.
I use a wedge ruler. You can use any wedge you want depending on the size blade you want. These are the ones I use the most.
I cut the piece and then put the two points of the large end of the blade right sides together and sew.
I then simply poke out my point (usually with a chop stick) and viola! I have my perfectly finished point.
I love this method because I can chain piece them together and it makes the point finished on both sides. That way if I want to add a little extra dimension to my quilt, I can leave them loose. Once I have finished my blades, I put the blades together in quarters, then sew the quarters together to make a circle.
Sulky PolyLite Thread
I piece with Sulky PolyLite™ Thread, which is particularly helpful when accuracy is crucial. When sewing pieces that are to become a circle that will actually lay flat, it is very important. Sulky PolyLite is a 60 wt. thread which means it is super thin, but since it is polyester, it is super strong. Having a thin thread means you don’t have to worry as much about the width of the thread distorting your finished piece. I have written post about how much I love PolyLite Thread that you can read here.
Part 3 Coming Soon…
In part 3 of this series, I will show you how I constructed the flowers.