Who doesn’t love table toppers? They can match your décor, make a statement, or celebrate a holiday, birthday, anniversary, and more! Not to mention, they’re SO much fun to make!
The inspiration for these projects came from my own desire to have some new items to decorate my home that were different and a little more modern. I started by making this set of 3-dimensional pieces. These guys are perfect for holding coffee filters, fabric, rotary cutters and the big one is perfect for a wine bottle! The best part is once you take the on-line class, you will be able to make these so quickly, they will be your new go-to gift for friends and family.
Next, came the Matchsticked placemat. I love matchstick quilting and what better way to practice and get really good at it than to make a beautiful set a place mats. To take this project over the top, I added a cool border, some big-stitch hand quilting, and a binding technique that you will love learning how to do.
Since I have a round table in my breakfast area at my house, I wanted to be able to put a round table topper on it. So, I set my mind to figuring out the easiest way to put together a round table topper without doing any math at all (I hate math!), and yet have the project stay flat. You can learn this cool method without all the trial and error that I went through! The best part is, you can do a round table topper as big or as small as you want with this method. Yay for flexibility!
The last project, the Minimalist Table Runner, may seem to be the simplest, but it is my favorite. Partly because the sample is made in my two favorite colors, but mostly because it teaches how to create your very own unique modern design that perfectly fits your style and personality. NO longer do you have to follow a pattern or be limited to another designer’s imagination? It’s your project and you make all the decisions. I show you how with step-by-step instructions! (And guess what?! The background fabric is denim!)
- Four fabulous, trendy and unusual Table Toppers that you will thoroughly enjoy making. They will inspire you to design your own versions that have your personality and creativity written all over them.
- Kelly Nagel, Creator of Opportunities at Sulky of America, guides you step-by-step through these projects, making them easy-peasy. Go beyond the typical table runner to improv, circular, and even 3-dimensional pieces.
- These modern projects teach you valuable sewing techniques, inspiring you to “kick it up a notch” if you want.
- This class is designed for both beginning sewists and more advanced sewists looking for professional finishing tips.
- The projects are all simple, with optional more challenging techniques.
- ·Whatever end of the sewing spectrum you’re on, you are going to LOVE these home decor projects. You’ll be making these for your friends and family, too. And best of all…none of these have to fit beyond the size of the table!
Patti Lee, VP of Sulky, says: “I don’t know about you, but I’ve reached the stage in my life, where I just like making smaller projects now. Maybe it’s because I have too many UFO’s to finish even if I live to be a hundred! So, for me, making table toppers is just the ticket! They’re fun and ‘finishable’, probably even in time for the special event! So, I hope you’ll find these as much fun as I have.”
Even More “Stuff” You Will Learn:
- You will learn exactly how to set up your machine (and you can use any well-maintained machine, you don’t need a fancy, expensive machine). Older machines with just a few decorative stitches will be fine, as well as top-of-the-line brand new machines, which you’ll see in the videos.
- You will learn all about different weights and types of threads to use for quilting or free-motion embellishment or decorative stitching.
- Quick lesson on free-motion machine set-up and quilting.
- Proper needles, SO important to success.
- And lots of ideas on how to take these techniques even further.
- You can sign in and read the materials, watch the videos, DOWNLOAD THE MATERIALS AND VIDEOS TO KEEP FOREVER, and work at your own pace, whenever and wherever you want to for one full year!
- We’ll be here every step of the way to help you with any questions or problems during that year. (And in reality, we at Sulky will always be here to help in the future, too.)
- You can submit photos of your projects for our input and suggestions, too.
- Share ideas, questions and comments with fellow students within the course, if you want.
- There are wonderful full-color, step-by-step instructions for you to print and keep for each project.
- Includes a bonus video by Ellen Osten, Director of Education for Sulky, for Magical, No-Show, Perfect Binding every time!