Halloween Wall Hanging
Create a Halloween wall hanging to place on your front door or inside to complement festive décor. The featured wall hanging embroidery design is easily done by hand or machine. Grab the free design for either handwork or machine embroidery and start stitching!
- 50 wt. Cotton + Steel thread by Sulky (753-1005 Black)
- Assorted quilting cotton fabrics (Featured fabrics coordinate with the Sulky Happy Halloween Table Runner)
- A: 8” x 10” rectangle (for embroidered center panel
- B: (2) 2” x 8” strips & (2) 2” x 13” strips (center panel borders)
- C: (2) 2” x 10 ½” strips & (2) 2” x 16” strips (outer borders)
- D: 14” x 16” rectangle (backing)
- 14” x 16” rectangle of cotton or fleece batting
- Organ size 70/10 Universal needle & 90/14 Top Stitch needle
- KK 2000™ Temporary Spray Adhesive
- 3” length of 1”-wide ribbon
SUPPLIES (EMBROIDERY BY HAND)
- Sulky 12 wt. Cotton Petites™ thread, Halloween Sampler
- Stick ’n Stitch water-soluble stabilizer
- 6” German Wooden Embroidery Hoop
- Hand embroidery needle
SUPPLIES (MACHINE EMBROIDERY)
- 30 wt. Cotton thread (Bright White & Black)
- Sulky Soft ’n Sheer cut-away stabilizer
- Bobbin thread (882-0020 Black)
- Organ size 90/14 Embroidery needle
After embroidery is complete, either by hand or machine, follow the instructions on our Free Project page to create a stitch-and-turn quilt sandwich for the Halloween wall hanging. Use 12 wt. Cotton Petites™ thread from the Halloween Sampler to quilt the wall hanging in the manner of your choice.
Use Halloween-themed fabrics from your stash or look for glow-in-the-dark prints to add more spook to the party. Try using Sulky Glowy™ thread for the embroidery to add even more interest! Glowy is slightly thinner than the 30 wt. cotton, but would work well with this openwork design.
Hang on your door for the month of October to get into the spirit! This would look really cute hanging above a fireplace or along a buffet backdrop, too.
Featured embroidery machine: Husqvarna Viking Designer Epic 2
Featured rotary cutter & mat: Havel’s Sewing