Paper Pieced Heart Quilt
designed by Kelly Nagel
Create a paper pieced heart quilt featuring heart appliques. This quilt is perfect for Valentine’s Day decor, a Mother’s Day gift or any time you want to express your love!
The hearts in this quilt are created with Sulky Paper Solvy™. This stabilizer comes in 8 1/2″ x 11″ sheets and can be run through your printer to transfer paper piecing patterns. Sew right through the paper and fabrics, and then wash away the stabilizer completely when piecing is complete! No more picking paper pieces out of small seams or intricate patterns! Another removal method, used for this quilt, is to moisten the seams using a cotton swab, such as a Q-tip. Then peel away the paper effortlessly without having to compromise seams or pull at the fabric. If you haven’t tried Sulky Paper Solvy in your paper piecing projects, grab some today! You’ll absolutely love working with it.
The additional hearts are created with quilting motifs. Machine embroidery designs are a good substitute. Try Cotton + Steel thread to quilt these hearts through all layers. You’ll love the thread, as it produces virtually no lint when quilting.
Supplies for Paper Pieced Heart Quilt
- Paper Pieced Heart Patterns (also found on PDF download)
- Cotton + Steel Thread by Sulky 50 wt. cotton thread (desired colors for quilting and piecing)
- Sulky Paper Solvy Stabilizer
- Sulky Soft ‘n Sheer Extra Stabilizer
- Sulky Stick ‘n Stitch Stabilizer
- Sulky KK 2000 Temporary Spray Adhesive
- Pinking shears (such as Havel’s Pinking Shears)
- 55″ square of quilt batting
- Wafer 1 or Wafer 2 Light Box (optional)
- Rectangle of cardstock
- No.1 Vibrant Half-Yard prints by Art Gallery Fabrics (piecing; one fat quarter of each is plenty)
- Titan Violet Print by Art Gallery Fabrics (55” square of backing & three 12 ½” squares)
- 1 ½ yards of Verve Violet Solid by Art Gallery Fabrics (binding & one 12 ½” square)
- 1 ¾ yards of white solid fabric (twelve 12 ½” square)