Upcycling with Denim
A Start-Anytime Online Class
With Kelly Nagel, Creator of Opportunities
Sulky’s newest Online Class: Upcycling with Denim is all about denim! For only $39.99, you will learn how to upcycle your favorite pair of old jeans, jacket, or even thrift-store finds. In addition, learn how to deconstruct denim into wonderful use-able elements, and show you some great techniques for making denim easier to sew in several great projects!
Upcycling and redesigning are passions for Kelly Nagel. She has been sewing and upcycling for almost 40 years and in that time she has created lots of fun projects and upcycling techniques.
Kelly says, “For as long as denim has been around, we have found ways to reuse it and upcycle it! Denim is such a great fabric for so many things, and I especially love it when it has been ‘worn-in’. That is when denim has the most character. It can, however be tricky to work with because of the thickness and the stretch. In this class, I will show you how to use both of those properties to your advantage!”
In this class, she will share with you the tricks she has learned for working with denim, stabilizing denim, and choosing the right denim items to upcycle. She will go through step-by-step how to make a cool backpack and a pillow cover. You will get full instructions and videos for these projects, as well as a fun and inspiring trunk show that will give you some great ideas on other denim upcycles you can do.
BONUS: Kelly is giving you a free pattern of her upcycled denim journal cover. It makes a great gift!
Benefits of this course:
- Learn the basics of denim and how to choose the right denim for your project
- Learn how to stabilize denim to make it easier to sew
- Learn how to deconstruct a pair of jeans.
- Learn the proper tools to use to make all your denim upcycling projects easier.
- Get step-by-step instructions for two great upcycled denim projects and the bonus journal cover project.
- You can sign in and read the materials, watch the videos, DOWNLOAD THE MATERIALS AND VIDEOS TO KEEP FOREVER, and work at your own pace, whenever and wherever you want to. We’ll be here every step of the way to help you with any questions or problems during the course. You can submit photos of your projects through the course for our input and suggestions, too. Share ideas, questions and comments with fellow students within the course, if you want to.
- Instructions include videos and step-by-step written and full-color photos of the process for:
- The Upcycled Denim Chevron Pillow cover
- The Upcycled Denim Drawstring Backpack with a front pocket (with a hidden secret and zipper
- Bonus instructions for the Upcycled Denim Journal cover
- An inspiring trunk show by Kelly to show you lots the ways you can use the techniques you learn in this class in a variety of different projects.
What you will you make:
Upcycled Chevron Pillow
People have been saving used jeans for projects ever since jeans were invented. We’ll show how to deconstruct a pair of jeans so you can reuse the denim, and show great uses for all the different parts of the jeans, jeans jacket, or skirt. We’ll discuss using threads and stabilizers on denim, needles, and combining denim with other fabrics. We’ll do some hand stitching and machine stitching on denim, too! This denim pillow is a great way to use denim pieces especially when mixing different denim colors.
Upcycled Back Pack
This versatile and trendy little backpack is cool, sturdy, and you would never know it was made from old jeans until you peak inside. Check out that super pocket-surprise inside the zipper!
THINK YOU’RE TOO BUSY?
This online course is designed to fit into even the busiest of schedules! The course has no set meeting time. It is available to you anytime from the day you sign up, day or night, for one full year! And because we include full-color, step-by-step downloadable written directions, and step-by-step downloadable videos to accompany each technique, too, you can practice the techniques again and again anytime in the future, long after the year is over (And the price point is unbeatable!).